What is enrichment?
- Enrichment is something that keeps the chimpanzees busy. It can be toys to play with or play on, new things to try, or things like food puzzles that they have to spend time doing or figure out.
- Enrichment can use all five senses.
- Chimpanzees need enrichment to live happy, healthy lives.
- Chimpanzees at Chimp Haven get enrichment every day, 365 days a year!
- Many of the enrichment activities at Chimp Haven help the chimpanzees practice things that they would naturally do in the wild.
- Enrichment can be food based, like popsicles and frozen peanut butter treats.
- Enrichment can be non-food based, like listening to music or painting.
- Chimpanzees sometimes use tools with enrichment, like finding sticks to search for ants.
- Humans need enrichment too – puzzles, toys, cooking, and playing with friends are all types of enrichment.