What is a chimpanzee?
- A chimpanzee is a type of Great Ape.
- Humans are Great Apes too! So are gorillas and orangutans.
- Some people think chimps are monkeys, but they’re not. An easy way to tell the difference between a monkey and an ape is that monkeys have tails and apes do not.
What is Chimp Haven?
- Chimp Haven is a big sanctuary where chimpanzees live together in family groups, also known as troops.
- Chimp Haven is located in Louisiana.
- More than 300 chimpanzees live at Chimp Haven today!
What is a habitat?
- A habitat is a chimp’s home.
- Chimp habitats are outside with lots of trees and open space.
- At Chimp Haven, the habitats include fun play structures for the chimps to climb and hang out on.
- Chimps like to play, climb trees, and find yummy snacks like nuts and berries in their habitat.
- The habitats at Chimp Haven are surrounded by water, which is called a “moat.” The chimps like to hang out with their friends by the moat and dip their hands in to get a drink of water.
- Even though the chimps enjoy their moat, they don’t like to swim. Their heavy body composition makes it hard for them to swim, so the moat creates a natural barrier to keep them safe in their habitat.
- Other wildlife like raccoons, bunnies, and birds also live in the habitats.
- The chimps like to build nests in their habitats. Nests are nice, comfy places where the chimps like to nap or relax. They may make nests out of leaves, branches, blankets, and even toys! In the wild, chimps sometimes make their nests up in the trees.
- Humans have habitats too. Think about your home; what are three things you like to do in your ‘habitat?’
Learn more about habitats
- Watch the video below and read the blog post to learn more about how the chimps use their habitats at Chimp Haven.
- Download the activities to make your own chimp habitat at home!
- Share your habitat with us on social media @ChimpHaven.