What is a primate?
- A primate is a type of mammal.
- There are more 600 types of primates!
- Primates are social, which means they like to live in groups with other primates.
- They can use tools like sticks and stones.
- Most primates are omnivorous, which means they eat plants and other animals.
- Primates have hair like humans instead of fur like a dog or cat.
What is a Great Ape?
- A Great Ape is a type of primate.
- All Great Apes have thumbs that can bend to meet other fingers. Opposable thumbs help Great Apes climb trees, gather food, and use tools.
- There are five types of Great Apes:
What is the difference between a Great Ape and a monkey?
- Apes have bigger bodies than monkeys.
- Monkeys have tails and apes do not.
- Apes have short noses while monkeys have snout-like noses.
- Apes have bigger brains than monkeys.
- Apes are built for swinging through trees while most monkeys are built for running across branches.
- Apes use tools and monkeys do not.
What is a chimpanzee?
- A chimpanzee is a type of Great Ape.
- Chimpanzees are humans’ closest living relative! They share more than 98% of their genes with you and me.
- Chimpanzees in the wild live in Africa.
- Chimpanzees have longer arms than legs so they walk on all four limbs. That’s called knuckle-walking.
- Chimpanzees use tools like sticks to fish for ants and stones to crack open up nuts.
- Chimpanzees communicate like me and you. Hugging, patting on the back, and tickling to name a few!
- Chimps make noises and use their bodies to show what they are feeling.
- One sound they make a lot is called a “pant-hoot.” Pant-hoots are used to communicate many different things, but it normally means the chimp is excited about something. Each chimpanzee’s pant-hoot is unique.
- Chimpanzees laugh when they play.
- Chimpanzees usually sleep at night and are awake during the day, but like us they wake up at night sometimes, and even take naps during the day.
What is Chimp Haven?
- Chimp Haven is a big sanctuary where chimpanzees live together in family groups, also known as troops.
- Chimp Haven is located in Louisiana.
- More than 300 chimpanzees live at Chimp Haven today!